Friday, June 20, 2008

Sports.

So I was peeping around ESPN like I usually do and what do my eyes find? Another story about O-State (Oklahoma State Univertisty) that continues to enforce negative views about the O-State football team. Read the story first..my comments follow.


STILLWATER, Okla. -- Oklahoma State Cowboys tight end Brandon Pettigrew pleaded guilty on Monday to a reduced charge for allegedly attacking a police officer in January.
Payne County prosecutors originally charged Pettigrew with felony assault and battery on a police officer, but they reached a plea agreement with Pettigrew in which he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor assault and battery.
He must pay a $200 fine and make a $200 contribution to the victims' compensation fund, as well as perform 20 hours of community service, which he has already completed at the YMCA, defense attorney William Baker said in court.
Pettigrew, from Tyler, Texas, also pleaded guilty to misdemeanor public intoxication in the incident and was fined $100.
He received a deferred sentence and won't have a criminal record if he successfully completes probation. Coach Mike Gundy declined to suspend Pettigrew, saying in February that he would allow the case to run its course.
Pettigrew caught 35 passes for 540 yards and four touchdowns last season.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Now, what I don't understand is what could you have been possibly drinking or smoking to make you assault a Police Officer? Obviously, this story from the AP doesn't tell all, but at the same time, I have to use the very much overused quote.."Black people, we have got to do bettter." No one expects anybody to be perfect. But, as a black, male athlete on scholarship on a NCAA team--I and every sane person will hold you to a higher standard. A million and one people would kill for a free education, yet you have the time to assault a Police officer? There is nothing wrong with drinking, atleast try to make an effort to do it responsibly. What I have come to learn at my at (20's) is that you only have one shot a life so think again before screwing it up especially when you have so much on the line. Whether you think you are a inspiration to someone or not someone will always look at you for an example of "What to Do" or "What not to Do." So I say this, always try to put your best foot forward. So after all my rant..was I a little hard on Brandon? I thinks not, but let me know what you think?

Suga HiL
(me, the groove, and my friends are gonna try to move your feet
see i am wonder mike and i like to say hello
to the black, to the white, the red, and the brown,
the purple and yellow )

0 Comments: