Monday, June 30, 2008

There's just something about those five intertwined rings...

Hello, I’m About It All readers. I’m EP from Stylish Handwriting, and I’m taking over for Suga HiL today as she takes up residence at my blog. How’s it going?

In celebration of HiL’s blog being what she’s all about, I thought I’d let y’all in on one thing I am all about.

The Olympics.

I don’t know what it is about this year, but I am loving the Olympic trials. What makes it sweeter is that I simply cannot wait ‘til the athletes make it to Beijing so I can continue to watch and cheer them on.

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I’ve always fantasized about becoming an Olympian. (This is the point where y’all smile and nod because who hasn’t? Especially when you were a child. Uh huh.) Childhood dreams of becoming an Olympian were quickly shattered because I was too tall to be a gymnast, too short to be a basketball or volleyball player, too afraid of the ball to be a softball player and never pursued swimming like I should have.

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that my BFF’s 16-year-old cousin made the swimming trials. And while she didn’t make the team, I think it’s awesome that she was there.

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that numerous athletes from my alma mater are a part of the track and field team. It never ceases to amaze me just how fast they are.

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that I have a crush on every male swimmer on the U.S. Olympic team. (And probably every other team there.) Hello, Speedo! It’s a shame they are wearing bodysuits now, but c’est la vie. A girl can still dream.

Or perhaps I think it is good to have something to support during this time of war we are living in. It is nice to have something to unite us, not separate us. And hopefully, these games will do that for everyone.

Whatever the reason is (I’m still not sure, obvs), I’m all about the Olympics.

And the only thing that would make them better? If the following games were included as sports:

  • red rover
  • dodgeball
  • kickball
  • whiffleball
  • Horse
  • hide and seek
  • freeze tag
  • manhunt
  • sardines
  • Guitar Hero

But I guess if these made the final “sport” list, the awe (and possibly respect) of the athletes would quickly diminish, and I’m sure the Olympics would not be nearly as impressive are they are now. I mean, how many people can run that fast? Or jump that high? Or swim like a fish? Or be ridiculously talented on the floor?

You could easily say, “Bobby, I should have made the team! You know I’m better at hiding than you!” Or “That was a lucky note streak, Sarah! Gah, I cannot believe you.”

And while I know it wouldn’t work and that there is a reason none of these games have made the cut, it’d be amusing. I mean, who wouldn’t want to watch kickball on national television just once if not to just reminisce about the times you played it in the school yard? Exactly.

3 Comments:

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

i wanna be on the gold medal winning freeze tag team!

Ben said...

Freeze tag would be the funniest freaking olympic sport EVER.

P.S. Swimming/diving competitions? Best part of every olympics...whew.

Suga HiL said...

Where the gymnastics at..
Oh you can't forget track and field. The dudes that run the 100m dash got the biggest booties, are hella sexy, and fast. What morre can you want.