Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Intellect.

Being a woman that's really trying to do the career thing, this election has really got me digging for answers to all my questions. I think every election should be like that but especially this one. So, my question that I was digging for yesterday was where the candidates stood on equal salary pay for all genders and races.





In any case both candidates talk the "Big" talk on giving women equal salary pay. As a voter, I don't want the talk I want the action.

The opportunity was given to both candidates to vote on legislation recently, that would have made it easier for women to sue their employers for pay discrimination.
So when all the talking was said and done Obama supported the bill; and McCain opposed it.
"I'll continue to stand up for equal pay as president - Senator McCain won't, and that's a real difference in this election," Obama said.

McCain has said he supports equal pay for women but had said the measure would lead to more lawsuits.

Obviously, I don't know the ends and outs of the piece of legislation, but what I do know is women have been getting the short end of the stick for decades when it comes to salaries and it is still a major problem.
At least, Obama is proving how serious he is by supporting legislation that tries to get women where they want to be. (Seen as equals on ALL fronts)
Suga HiL

1 Comment:

President Anthony Taurus said...

I think in the long run, we all want equal pay for equal work. I'd bet they'd both say the exact same thing. I know McCain probably owned slaves before fighting in the Civil War but I'd bet he'd say the same thing, anyway. Problem: only way to ensure that happens is 100% transparency which means opening up the wage rates for EVERYONE and fairly assessing the value.

I am sure there are ways to handle that. Perhaps an agency within the Department of Labor that would require companies to reveal exact wages for exact positions. I think you'd get into definition issues and company sizes and so on. It'll get complicated but that's what we pay a congress for.