Monday, August 11, 2008

Intellect.

Topic of Discussion: Kids and Cell Phones

Several reasons for this topic even though I don't have any kids.

Reason 1: I felt myself having deja vu with the episode of the Bernie Mac(RIP) show when Vanessa asked for a cell phone from her Aunt Bonita. My niece and me; same situation. Hmm what to do?

Reason 2: I almost caught a case with a "looked to be" 11-12 year old girl in Victoria's Secret, with her cell phone all "blinged" out and Princess on the back. This little chick had the nerve to be talking all loud to "Jenny" and wasn't paying attention that it was her turn to check out..Ughh. Why? (And what does she know about Victoria's secret, she don't even know what her secret is yet??) But I digress. It's always a coincidence though, cause when I'm thinking about posting about something, an article always end's up in my face or inbox the next day. Crazy.

So I read an article this morning on CNN called "What to know about buying your kid a cell phone", it was really informative. The major issues for getting your child a cell phone were obvious. Which were to keep an eye on your child, and just in case the parents/child have an emergency. The reasons for not getting a child a cell phone were:

Cost: Obviously kids drop, brake, and lose cell phones. I'm also reminded about my friend's child who ran up $300 dollars in ringtones and games. (My belt would have been smokin')

School Safety: The more kids that have cell phones, the more cell phone systems will be over-loaded in a true emergency. Also, several incidents have been reported lately of disputes among teenagers as a result of text-message cheating and inapproriate videos being spread around campus.

Sexual Predators: Obvious threat, but more than that my hairstylist state's "Little 10 year old hootchie's sending bikini picks to her son".

Health Risks: I'm sure everyone has heard the reports about cell phone use causing cancer. Some reports strongly agree, and some reports say you have nothing to worry about.

I honestly, came to the conclusion that Auntie's don't need to be giving niece's cell phones. Secondly, at her age, that cell phone will be nothing but a hinderance in school, and a financial loss for her parents. I think 16, is a good age for a child to get a cell phone but not a minute earlier.

What are your thoughts? Hit me up and let me know, and tell me how I should break it to my niece that I'm not getting her a cell phone. Oh, the article is linked under source..take a read.

Suga HiL


Source: CNN

1 Comment:

Mo'Hair said...

As the mother of the kid who received the bikini pic, I was appalled! I almost "went there" on my son, but I realized it wasn't his fault. I actually felt sorry for this 12 yr old little girl who has such a low image of herself that she feels that this is the only way to get attention from a guy. Furthermore, at this age why is she going to such great lenths to get a boys attention?! Where is her mother? I have 2 sons 11 and 13 and they both have cell phones, but there are guidelines that came along with them...no deleting anything(rule #3 will explain), NO GIRLS, and phones are subject to random inspections at my discretion(gotta make sure I know what these phones are being used for). With careful hands-on parenting, cell phones can allow your child to join this millenium safely and wisely.